Saturday, May 26, 2012

Superintendent Aspirations ?

I admit I have superintendent aspirations.  I know when I will start...after my daughter is in college at least a year .  I know how it is accomplished... Iowa State, University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa, or maybe some online class just to show it can be done.
Reasons why?
1. A lot of teaching experience with superintendents coming and going every 3 to 5 years.  This has to change somehow and I am curious how it can change or why it happens.
2. I love a challenge and boy does it look like a major challenge.
3. Children are very important to me and as superintendent I could be an advocate in another arena.
4. I love to learn and learn every day in the position I am in and want to be part of another learning curve.
5. I have experienced all types of superintendents, some effective, others not so, and am curious about what makes a great superintendent.
Soooo...I will continue to ponder the superintendent aspirations...unless I win the lottery and start my own school. (Guess I need to buy a ticket).

2 comments:

  1. As a recent newbie to the position, my two cents.

    Find a program that fits you and what you are doing (job, family, etc) and your learning style. My option was excellent in terms of the flexibility around my job, and the learning and information was outstanding. The best part of any program will be those around you in your cohort and the instructors.

    Don't lose contact with the kids. The superintendency is really removed from the actual purpose of school, but you can make and maintain those connections if you want. It's much harder, but it does happen if you want it to.

    Best wishes - whenever that time comes - in both pursuing the degree and the employment. I didn't think so at the time, but those were the easy parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about superintendent aspirations after the news story about the superintendent of Des Moines CSD. The higher up ladder the fewer friends and the bigger the number of enemies. Also in education the public and press love to demonize those in authority. That being said school district computers belong to the school just like any business computer belongs to the business. Unfortunately this news article makes educators look bad. It is a heads up and I still feel the superintendent role is an important one and one that I am interested in.

    ReplyDelete