Sunday, February 23, 2014

Snow day...snow boarding day...any learning going on?

I will never deny that I love snow days, early outs, and late starts.  
As a professional educator I use the time to catch up on paper work, sort out cabinets and files, and of course go sledding or snow boarding with my son.  
The last is the first of my priorities....
My son and I try different hills, different sleds, different paths, and compete to see who can get to the bottom first.  
But you might say "No school means that testing is halted (yes it did put a dent in my Iowa Assessment schedule).  Great lessons are skipped or moved to another date.  Routines are interrupted.  
Well here is the learning that was had due to the snow day.

When the snow is real wet you go slower than when it is iced up.  
Two people on a sled go faster than one.
Snow board ribs make it easier to go around corners.
Plan a path before you push off.
Keep your hands and feet ready to steer and brake.
Watch out for trees before you get to them.
Know how to roll off a sled if you are heading the wrong way.
Racing someone down to the bottom makes it so much fun.
Racing is not fun if someone gets hurt.  There won't be anyone to race.
Going down a hill fast means walking all the way up to the top slow.
It is okay to take a rest and lay in the snow and enjoy the snow.
If you can't stand up on a snow board without falling on your face sit down on it and you will go a lot further and have more fun.
Having so much fun is hard work.

So do you see what I mean about learning on a snow day...

1 comment:

  1. After posting this blog I decided to add a comment to my skype account about the joy of sledding. The automatic spell check changed sledding to clogging. Not sure how that bridge was crossed but gave me quite a laugh. So not fighting the technology and my favorite activity on a snowy day is clogging in the woods. Makes you wonder how computers think since I know it couldn't be a word that I have used and was stored in the memory, I don't clogg. Here is what I think the computer was thinking...
    S and C both can make the same phonetic sound, have to keep L, vowels can easily be interchanged so change it to O , and turn a G upside down and flip it and you get almost a D, the ING is what it is. SLEDDING/CLOGGING same thing... people activity, fun for all involved, and same amount of letters. Computer done.

    ReplyDelete