Saturday, August 14, 2010

Alternative Schools

I am excited to be part of the creation of an Alternative School for the Prairie Valley Community School District. Why am I excited?
- The alternative school will be shared with three school districts and includes a partnership with a community college.
- The alternative school concept is needed in the school district and fills a hole that had to be outsourced previous to this year.
- I will be involved in the initial building of a learning environment that is different from the environment that has been offered to high school students at this point.
- The staff that are involved are wonderful to work with and engaged in the idea of the importance of the alternative school.
- The students and parents who are enrolled are excited with the opportunity that are being offered.
- I am excited that the Alternative School will make it possible for students that have not found success in the traditional high school setting can be successful, graduate, and achieve what ever they dream .
Any resources, ideas, or comments are welcome !

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best of luck, and you will likely need it. Your energy and commitment to kids will drive you, but there will be hurdles to overcome. As long as you are thinking on behalf of the kids (which you do) the right decisions will be made and the program will be successful. Good people focused on kids produces success. You have all the parts of the equation. Again, best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck may be needed on a couple items but continued commitment,drive,and energy is key. Working with great team members is exillerating, an almost high. When co-workers jump to do the work and even ask for more, ask how they can collaborate, tell you they will work late and free it is so humbling and makes me work harder and raise my hurdles higher. Add on top of that they want to do the best not for themselves but for the students. Even if the task fails at first with this kind of momentum it won't fail for long. As I work with more administrators I see this work ethic repeated and it makes me sure of the road I have taken. I would put our team up against any situation and hope that the devotion we have is evident to staff, students, parents, and the community. If not I will work harder on PR.

    ReplyDelete