Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Grama Has A Dog With Three Legs

I really do not have to time to write another post for this blog...but sometimes you just have to do this.
Reflect on the pure joy of teaching children of all ages.
Time to enjoy and hope you do also!!!
A beautiful pig tailed 5 year old student waved her had back and forth during breakfast at school last week. This usually means she has to go to the bathroom and wants permission to leave her tray and then come back to eat. Not today. With a look of concern she said," Mrs. K. my Grama has a dog with three legs." of course my response is "I hope that the dog is okay". She nodded yes and then said, " Grama says two legs got ran over Mrs. K.". Okay what to say next? I could not think of anything, my mind was busy with the thought process of ... does that mean it only has one working leg? ... or it had five legs to start with and now only has three?. I am going with the five legs to start since that is what I think a five year old might think. What fun to think like a 5 year old.
Switch age levels....
Same day a tenth grade boy walks into my classroom/office with a huge smile on his face. "Mrs. K. he says did you hear about my ticket?" I said no of course and asked about what happened. He told me he was pulled over for speeding 93 miles per hour in a 55 MPH area. I wanted to ask a couple of more questions to see if he had learned anything about the experience (teacher in me). I asked "What did you say to the officer when he came up to your car? The student replied "The officer asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I told him yes of course, I had my cruise control on!" Enough said...
Now add to my list of stories and of course I will too.....

3 comments:

  1. This post is intended to garner uplifting stories of the way students think and how it adds to the joy of teaching. Well I am one to stay on the positive side but when reality hits sometimes it is not positive or uplifting just reality. I had a reality day today and instead of going into details of the situations I will just say the reality makes the uplifting so much more fine, golden, and even precious. So tomorrow I get to search again for the treasures that keep me and every educator motivated and advancing. The gold is out there.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay time to be positive, because I hear from the last Iowa Core meeting that being positive about education, staff, administration, and students can make all the difference in the world. Okay this is my upbeat and funny comment for the day. Can anyone figure out why? Maybe more humorous irony. YEP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today a kindergarten student stood next to me in the breakfast line. He said 'Mrs. K last night I had a dream about you and you were a giant!' A little TK student behind me spoke up and said ' She is a giant already!'. The rest of the students in line agreed. Moral of the story, You don't know how big you are until you stand in line with kindergarteners.

    ReplyDelete