Sunday, September 4, 2011

Being a Principal can be lonely...

I have been told by more than one administrator that being a principal can be lonely. (Maybe a little like blogging alone Ha, Ha). Well I will say that in one of the schools I have great friendships; made through years in the district, and in the newer school district I hope to create great friendships. I will admit that is not what the advice from administrators was about. The loneliness is the decisions that have to be made, the confidential situations that can't be shared, and the countless hours working late, early, and at home. Now I will admit there is a level of that loneliness that teachers also experience but not like administration. The numbers tell the story. So what to do about it. I was reading a blog I have been following and it suggested getting administrators together to experience weekend or even week long excursions. I really liked the idea. It was all about getting rid of stress and trying new things that did not evolve around administration but were learning experiences in themselves. An example was 'white water rafting'. The problem I have with idea is that being a woman administrator it is more difficult to find groups to get together. I will say that I am going to try to figure it out. Some ideas I would like to try.... 1. Motor cycle ride across the state of Iowa. 2. Canoe down the Mississippi river. 3. Tandem parachuting. Just three ideas. Any other great ideas please leave a comment.

8 comments:

  1. How about a trip to a different state or country to see how administrative leadership works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a trip to Washington D.C. to experience first hand how the department of education is or is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may get a shot with the motorcycle ride and maybe even the canoe...but parachuting I'm guessing is going to be a solo event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Administrators ask teachers and students to go outside their comfort zone all the time. How about jumping tandem from a plane to illustrate to administrators how it might feel. Very doable it cost about $200 and can be done in Fort Dodge on Labor Day weekend. I am willing and I am terrified of the idea .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to go to an island and scuba dive. That sounds really good to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a wilderness treak in the mountains. A week walk in and walk out with a group of administrators,from a wide variety of locations and school populations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Idea, how about just enjoying a dinner and good conversation... not fancy but doable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The problem with the entire idea is trying to find time to get together. SAI conference in August is one time that works, but not always due to the problem of starting the school year and needing to hire new staff. I read in my contract that I can go to a national conference every other year. That sounds like something to make time for,if the school district has the money to send me. Being away from the building you administrator is difficult at times. On top of all this finding time away from family obligations (stretched thin anyway) is hard to defend.
    Okay now lets just get to the point... are all the above reasons why principals are lonely or is it we don't mind being lonely?
    Life is short and time to start getting together and support each other as administrators and educatiors. Let's do it!!!!
    Looking at the month of March and also perhaps the month of June. Now specific ideas need to be made and let's get started.

    ReplyDelete