Monday, February 20, 2012

The Answer...I believe I have one!

I will admit my first year as a S.A.M. I worked the entire year faking it...Faking that I knew what I was doing as to student discipline.
Faking that I knew what I was doing with staff.
Faking that I knew what to do to lead the program.
Some times the faking was believable even to me...sometimes not.
So now I am into my first year as an assistant principal.
Less faking and a lot more just working my butt off.
Now the dilema for this year.
I am supposed to be an educational leader.  Really....
I know I am an artist and I also know I am a teacher.  I have always told students to create what they know. I have also believe that when you know what you know it will lead you to your next creation.
Well here is a small piece of my creation... the beginning of a systemic wide educational idea.
Transitional Kindergarten is a beginning that shows it works, now ramp it up!
Next step Transitional 4th or T4 .
Middle step T6 Transitional 6th,
Then of course Alternative School, truly being alterntive. (three courses of study).
All this can be done with monies already provided but could be advanced even further with legislation that embraces the concept that extended year, extended graduation, and extedended learning are the next phase in the everchanging educational stage. 
Now how to research, refine, and experiment this idea.  It can't be a ten year project. I see it as a three year directive. 
Educators who are interested in the concept gather around!!!

1 comment:

  1. Another answer. All this talk about rewarding teachers individually for successful teaching in the classroom. Yes I agree there are better teachers in some classrooms. They do go over and above others. Rewarding some might send a message to make the others step up, or not... I really feel that if you reward a school more will get done. I always say reward students with what they want most, ex. High School kids want freedom, Elementary kids want more recess. So if a school is high preforming give the teachers more prep time options..or...PD to visit other schools,,,or time to got to a conference that they really want to learn from...or if money is the issue a larger budget for supplies in the classroom, an updated computer, an extra personal day, or a $ amount towards a class they want to take in the summer. So many things if you just think about it. These are things that good teachers want and would appreciate. Let the team be a team. When you have one or two players that are better than the rest it makes the team divide or the others feel worthless even though they are trying. My thoughts for now.

    ReplyDelete