Sunday, September 30, 2012

Uncreative students...what's up with that?

Okay was sent this article because I am an art teacher/administrator.  Found aspects of it very interesting.  I don't agree with a lot of it.  The Freedom aspect is a little out there for me.  I also don't  agree with the reason the creativity has dropped since the 90's.  I would say it is more about what toys children have that make them not need to push the creativity button.  Part of the article talking about boredom plays a role in creativity in children I do agree with.  I also believe that system wide testing does not test for creativity and should.
Another thought what part of the 'Iowa Core' works with creativity?  How is creativity taught in the classroom (Art and Music are not the only places it should be taught and have a standard or benchmark for creativity).
Read the article and comment.

As Children’s Freedom Has Declined, So Has Their Creativity


New research suggests that American schoolchildren are becoming less creative.

3 comments:

  1. Okay like all my blogging, I am taking a break from school work, and blogging is the break. Now lets think about creativity. Kids are very creative they are just not given the time or opportunity to be so or demonstrate it. In art class it is part of the curriculum and encouraged. Now in the regular classroom with schedules tight and curriculum that has to be done, time and opportunity does not happen much. So I was reading an article about a school in Iowa that is going to 4 days a week with the Friday till noon for class and school wide trips and collaborative teaching projects and units. They also would use the rest of the day to have inservice to teach staff how to do the lessons, assess students, and more. REALLY LIKE this alot. I want to go and find out more. IT makes sense!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is the place for creativity,encouraged, modeled, and even in the curriculum. Okay why is it only in ART or Music? It needs to be a school wide initiative. The students who love creativity and practice it could and should be unleashed in the classroom. What I and other students learn from the creative students is worth the control I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gave the students piles of lefto over donated junk and said make a Junkanoo mask. Well they really went to town. Will take pictures and post them. Heard a group of students talking about the project. I like art this year it lets me do lots of creative things. Well I will tell you it does get really messy, I mean really! It also gets very loud at times. 25 + students all using glue guns, cutting, painting, and lets' not talk about the glitter (I hate glitter). It is worth it. Bring that into every curriculum area, that is the challenge.

    ReplyDelete