Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Books are Priceless and the price will continue to go UP

Went to an auction and there were boxes of old books.  Well the price ended up being $5 a box of books.  Really?! They were old books, some smelled old, some were abused and well read, and one was a bible.  I could not say no.  Bought the books and took them home and put them in my garage.  My eleven year old son came in with a few of the books and put them on the end table and told me that one was from 1879 and that we should read it.  I started yesterday and I am almost done. It is Kavanaugh by Longfellow.  Worth reading but not an easy read.
So is this a recommendation for a book?  NO!  I have aghast at the idea that books are worthless and people can't even give them away.  Was it so long ago that only the rich could have books, then libraries made it possible for all to have books, now no one wants them.  I think  and have heard that other countries do not take books for granted but with technology maybe paperless is what everyone wants.  I don't, I loved opening that old book and smelling the age, feeling the paper, enjoyed holding it in my hands, really enjoyed the handwritten message inside.  I foresee a future when books will slowly become so rare that  only the rich will be able to own them.  They will be on "Road Show Antiques" and discussed as being a rare find.  Until then I will continue to buy books , just need a library to store them.

1 comment:

  1. Got to have a comment for books. Well here it is..smell them they smell soooo good! Bet they will come up with a room deoderizer or something with that smell really quick. I should develop it and patent it. You heard it first here!!!!
    Also talked about golf balls that have paint on them that collect the sun so at night when you can't find them they glow and you can pick them up and not run over them with your lawn mower. Books give me ideas...how about you?

    ReplyDelete