Saturday, November 19, 2011

I CAN Hear....

Just got back from a Commission for the Deaf meeting held in Des Moines. I was appointed by the Governor to be the 'at large' commissioner. What that means is that I am not deaf, hearing impaired, nor do I have family members that are. My purpose on the commission is to give it a hearing individuals perspective. This is the second meeting I have attended and I come away with so much more than I ever expected. Of all the commissioners I am the only hearing member. We do have another member with a cochlear implant but I also am the only member who does not sign or read lips. When I get to a meeting we have 6 interpreters. I feel embarrassed that one is mainly for me. When everyone is talking I usually just sit and smile and nod and hope that someone will try to speak so I can read lips. Even if the people present try to slow down the signing I still don't get much out of it. The conversations are very animated and I know I am missing vital information before and after the meeting. During the meeting I can read the teleprompter but it is often a sentence behind the speaker and yes you can tell. If I try to watch the person signing I can't read the teleprompter and if I watch the interpreter I miss the person speaking and the expressions that go with the conversation. Both meetings I have come away with a headache. So much going on and so hard to focus. I also am not sure when it is polite to jump into a conversation and how to get the speakers attention. I am learning though just wish I had more time to take a crash course in signing. ALL OF MY OBSERVATIONS I AM SURE ILLUSTRATE HOW A DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING INDIVIDUAL FEEL EVERYDAY !!! Wow what I thought I knew about deafness was not even close to the actuality. Thank you to the Governor for giving me this opportunity. Thank you to the commissioners and the Department of Deaf Services for being patient with me. I would like to invite anyone to come to the next meeting in February and experience what quality people work and volunteer for this department of Human Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment