Friday, November 11, 2011

Grading Why?

The article. Grading to Communicate at http://t.co/wd8BzW03.
ad the article. Seemed like the author was still trying to grade but in a more creative way, or at least in a way that validated what he did. In observing young children that are usually not graded (unless you count an S, S+, S- which probably still is just not as mathematical) from ages of preschool to 3rd grade, I notice that the younger they are the more learning is enough and they love it and beg for it. I have had kindergarten students actually plead to start a new letter or unit. The older the student and the advent of grades the less the student seems to want to learn for the sake of learning. (not speaking of all students just most). I read an article about bonuses and work performance (can't remember the author) and the more a bonus is linked to a desired outcome over time the less productivity the employee achieved. I often think that grades are related to learning in a similar way. One example that I used with HS students was:In college I had to take a class called 'Women in Politics'. I was interested in the class but found out the instructor was natorius for being abusive and difficult . First day of class we all expected a syllabus with the requirements of how to get our grade. Instead we got a list of books. She said read the books and come to class prepared to discuss what you had read. If you do not contribute to the discussion don't come. A students asked how discussion would be graded , by how many responses? She said no the discussions would not be graded. Another student asked if there would be a final paper. The instructor said yes. Next questions as to length , form, sources sited etc. The instructor said just write what you learned from the readings and responses from the discussions. Next question was how was the final graded. The instructor said "I will take them home, go into my living room, throw them up in the air, those that fall to the right get a B those that fall on the left get a C those that stay in the air get an A, not completed work get and F. Every one laughed. She said 'laugh all you want that is how I do it'. Next class was much smaller since many students quit. I thought about it but did not. I checked out the books , read them, discussed them,(great conversations I must say) and even brought in books of my own. I wrote my paper turned it in. It must of landed on the right because I got a B. I feel sorry for those who quit the class because the students that stayed learned so much about 'women in politics' but so much more about learning for the sake of learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment