Thursday, November 24, 2011

Just listening...

I know I need to listen more and talk less. I often get so busy that when I have a conversation with staff, student, or parent I try to hurry the conversation. I don't do it to be difficult but rather because I have list two pages long. I also will admit that I have always been a busy person and have a lot of things to accomplish. Last week was the week before Thanksgiving break. Students were very irritated, some because they needed a break, and a few because they did not want the break. I also noticed parents seemed to be irritated with communications with staff . So on Wednesday (early out) I decided to stop and listen. I listened to a student tell me about his card collection and found out that he knew every name from memory. I listened to a staff member tell about concerns she had over testing and student success. I listened to more than one parent about concerns about thier child's progress and also about their lives. With all this listening I did not get done my two page list, hopefully the less important items will wait. I also did not get early like the rest of the staff due to calling parents back. I got home later than I expected but still had time to get my Thanksgiving food made. Now I need to remember to listen to my family. Listening seems easy but it isn't always....but it is necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I listened today and made an effort. People like to be heard. Students like to be heard. Guess I do too. When time is short it is difficult to pull away from listening. Hope people understand.

    ReplyDelete