Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cook your own steak...networking

Today I went to a SAI area 5 lunch.  All administrators in the area were invited not all came.  I will tell you I was not sure I wanted to go, then just thought, why not!  The principal that I work with said he had gone in the past but he was not into playing golf, and had lots of work to do.  I don't play golf and the 'cook your own steak' menu was not my cup of tea.  It was free so that made me feel better.  I will make one comment, free or not free who goes out to lunch and says,,,,I want to cook my own steak?  It might be me but when I go out to eat I don't want to cook the food and I really don't want to grill a steak with a bunch of other people.  Just throw it on the grill for me , I know that it will be done better, not burned, if the people running the restaurant  cook it.  The steak was good even though I burned the edges.  So I need to stop  looking a gift horse in the mouth. 
Now the point of the post.  I enjoyed the networking session with the administrators at the meeting.  I was worried I would not know anyone and I was wrong. The conversations were about education but also about personal topics such as family and vacations.  We listened to an update from the state capital on legislative  educational issues.  Politics always interests me. 
The speaker reminded everyone in attendance to remember to make time for family and what you love to do so that your job and life is balanced.  I went home and took the tube down into the creek with my son. 
A good day and I would recommend the meeting for next year. 
Thank you SAI.  Oh yeah a steak meal needs a brownie buffet.  Just a hint for next year....

1 comment:

  1. Back from the annual SAI conference. Best part is the networking. It happens mainly in the halls inbetween sessions, the vendor area, and lunch. Went to the women administrators networking session and it was well worth the time. Networking is so important I have found out. When you have a queation, having someone you can contact is an important skill for all administrators.

    ReplyDelete