Saturday, April 9, 2011

Grass Is Always Greener...Yeah I Know....

Just got back from the Area 5 Iowa Artist show. I volunteer every year to bring the easels and set up. I am always glad I go and sometimes even push myself to enter a piece of my art work. Oh by the way I am an artist , that is a great description of my personality and the way approack everything I do especially education. Basically what is true education... a creative endevor to learn more and by doing so create. Okay now to what this post is about... I WOULD LIKE TO QUIT MY DAY JOB (SCHOOL ADMINISTATIVE MANAGER) AND BECOME A FULL TIME ARTIST. Why wouldn't I? I would be around like minded creative people, I would be pushing my limits of creativity, I would be fulfilling my passion. I would be learning new art techniques and medium applications. Wow when can I start!!! What would I be giving up? Pay and benefits (don't like that but I think I could work around it as long as I did not starve). Frustration (not having to follow state guidelines for testing, budget, and everything involving state and federal unfunded and funded mandates. Hours of working on forms and data and correspondance. Stress. Heartache ( students who can't succeed know matter how much you help). Now the flip side: I would also give up teaching children ages 5-20. I would up being part of a child's learning process. I would give up working with top quality staff. I would give up the sense of helping families. Much more also. SO I GUESS THIS IS AN EXCERCISE FOR MY MIND... Not sure if when Monday comes I might still want to quit but I hope not. BUT TODAY I AM GOING TO BE AN ARTIST... AT LEAST UNTIL I HAVE TO MAKE DINNER WHICH IS NOT MY CREATIVE SUITE.

3 comments:

  1. This really is an interesting post. Although knowing you and knowing how this fits into your life and approach to everything helps make it more real, this is really a concept that any of us can take a look into for ourselves. Honestly, for you I have the same thoughts - outside of income and the family that relies on it, what an exciting opportunity to face the challenges of an artist. As we all know, however, the concept of "starving artist" has a large impact on this decision. It's good that you end this post with what I know of you the most - your enjoyment of the job you do. Yep, there are tough times. Sure, you don't like every minute of every day. Right, you want to quit once in a while like all of us. Of course, there are drawbacks. But then there are the good days... Hold on to those, and they'll keep you coming back to education every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worked at the second of four track meets. Last year had a daughter running track and enjoyed it for that reason. This year going just for the job. It was cold and windy but could of been worse.got to do the administrative end, fill in when needed (learned how to mark long jump, thanks to the gentlemen behind me who let me know I was doing it wrong) also checked to see if breaks were needed (staff really do need to use the bathroom) and greet parents and welcome teams. Made for an 14 hour day. It was a good track meet. I enjoyed supporting the students, telling parents what great kids they have, visiting with other teams. Still the cold was a pain but part of the artwork. If you get my analogy. Maybe I was an artist today without quitting my day job.... Boy can I be prolific! Next i will have a picture of a castle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all of my artwork is a masterpiece but I definetly learn from the ones I have to paint over or hide in the closet. Same with my job this year except for my mistakes are out in front. Can't hide them in the closet and it is easy for anyone to see them. Really not used to that yet. I am used to critique of my art and if it is not one agree with I usually just file it in my brain and move on. Have to remember that also with education, not all criticism is worth taking to heart. So I will keep my crappy art in the closet or under another painting and learn to be tougher as to the out in front view of my work. Can anonymous be my name once in awhile?

    ReplyDelete