Saturday, December 3, 2011

Snow

It is truly a beautiful day in Iowa today. Snowing , looks like a snow globe. I like snow, always have always will. As an educator I know that it also means students without boots, snowpants, gloves, hats, and sometimes even a warm coat. I was not poor growing up but came from a big family and never had snow pants, wore boots that were too small, socks for gloves, but always had a coat that kept me warm. I was lucky. I applaud schools in my two districts for having extra outer clothing for students who perhaps forgot or don't have their own. I hope that is how it is all over the great state of Iowa. Let every student enjoy the snow at recess time.

1 comment:

  1. I have gone without as a student and know what that feels like. My parents were not good with money and at times we had new bikes and a new car but when the door shut people did not see that we did not have heat, milk, or at times ate a lot of soup. I was also taught never to ask for or take charity. I haven't had to go without for a long time but still remember what it was like. I am fortunate to have a good job and when my children need something I can give it to them. I know for a fact this year that there are many children in school that are going without warm coats, boots, gloves, and snowpants. We need to help them. Children can not go out and buy the things they need and they must depend on parents to do that for them. Some parents can't and won't ask for help. Other parents are not good parents and won't get them what they need. Don't let the thought that the parents have a new car or cell phones keep you from helping a child that needs warm clothes or even more.

    ReplyDelete